Are Social Networking Sites Reducing Activity on This List?

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Wed May 1 22:08:08 MST 2013

On 05/01/2013 09:53 PM, Derek Trotter wrote:
> I heard once about some linux program that would make use of a voice
> modem.  As I recall you could set it up to watch the caller ID data and
> give out different incoming messages based on the number of the caller.
> Get something like this and set it up with one of those press
> (1,2,3,etc) for each person that lives there.  For fun include the pets.

Digium (the company behind asterisk) used to sell an adapter called the
X100P that was just a very slightly modified modem.  In fact they sold
theirs for $100, but you could purchase one one ebay that was identical
to it hardware wise for $9 (I think that might have even included shipping).
In any case, I had one of those $9 X100P in my overkill answering
machine for about 6 years... worked great!

Mine was pretty much press 1 to find out why you actually haven't
reached CVS Pharmacy or hold to leave a message.  (My home phone number
is so close to a CVS number that I think I might actually get more of
their calls than they do, including faxed in prescriptions).
I also had a secret way of power cycling my home system through my
"answering machine" via and X10 appliance module.... never did have to
use it though.

Brian