Switched off Ubuntu

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Wed Jul 31 11:02:16 MST 2013

On Wed, 2013-07-31 at 17:34 +0000, Paul Mooring wrote:
> As a side note, I do think it's justifiable to worry about the future
> of Linux if the well-funded distros focus on consumers.  Linux's
> server market share is massive, it's desktop market share not so much.
> The more we rally around systems that facilitate desktops and get in
> the way on servers the less advantageous it is for the people paying
> for Linux development to keep doing so.

Not sure if you're implying this about Ubuntu or not, but FYI either
way.

Canonical's work on Ubuntu is broadly broken into two pieces, server and
client.  This is from the CEO on down.  There are several groups that
step between those two (really oversimplified) categories.  Personally,
I work on the Client side of the company, so anything I say will be
biased towards that.  That doesn't mean those server guys aren't working
hard to make Ubuntu a great server as well.  We also don't separate out
desktop in any meaningful way, it's all client, converged from desktop
to tablet to phone.

> Regardless of how you feel about Enterprise Linux without Red Hat (the
> company) success we would be years behind where we are right now.

Red Hat has make a large wake for other Open Source companies to grow
and thrive in, especially in the enterprise markets.  It's awesome.

Ted