How to run php programs on local computer?

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Wed Jul 3 14:39:00 MST 2013

Thanks Brian.

My system is Linux Mint 13 with Synaptic package manager,
and in the past, I've been told that it is preferable to
install packages on from Synaptic rather than by apt-get;
is that true? or does it make any difference?

So, I installed apache2 from Synaptic and it shows
two additional components: libapache2-mod-php5 and
libapache2-mod-php5filter as separate packages.

Should I also install both of those?

When I marked "libapache2-mod-php5" a pop-up said:
"To be removed: apache2-mpm-worker" and three additional
items to be installed.

It's all a bit disconcerting.