How to run php programs on local computer?

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Wed Jul 3 14:12:24 MST 2013

Here's the Debian/Ubuntu/etc counterpart to the CentOS/RHEL instructions.

sudo apt-get install apache2 php5

It should be ready to go as soon as that is installed.

As for how php works.  The php files are just plain html files with
areas of php that start with <?php and end with ?>

<b>This will show up like any other html and not be processed as PHP</b>

<?php
print "<b>This will be processed as PHP and generate text that will be
processed as html by the browser</b>";
?>

<b>This will also show up like any other html and not be processed as
PHP</b>

If you paste the above code into a file named /var/www/index.php you
will see the result.  Just point your web browser at
http://127.0.0.1/index.php

Brian Cluff