Has anyone here tried a Chromebook?

keith smith klsmith2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 15 15:24:18 MST 2013

I have two bottom of the line HP laptops running AMD processors.  I am content.  Probably because I do not do much.  LAMP dev, email, browse the web, and netflix.

I think what brought the whole Intel v. AMD home for me was when you were setting up VirtualBox on your netbook and beating my Laptop.  I seem to recall your netbook runs an Intel CPU, not the latest, but a prior generation, and 1GB RAM.  I'm running an AMD dual core with 4GB RAM.  And you netbook was out pacing my notebook.

For years you have been telling me to go with Intel.  I think I am now convinced.  I know $200 or $300 dollars can be a big difference when buying hardware.  I try to break it down to 5 or 6 years.  If you get an i3, i5, or i7 at a higher price and you use that workstation or laptop for 5 or 6 years the marginal cost might only be $50 a year.  I'm a tightwad.  I hate spending money, so I try to get the best deal.  I usually buy my computers on Black Friday or during some other sale.  I get the weekly flyer from Staples and OfficMax.  If a really good deal comes along I might make  purchase.  Sometimes you do not get exactly what you want, however you can save a few bucks.  I bought my last two laptops that way.

During the Christmas sales I picked up to 2 Seagate 500GB backup drives for half price.  I did not know they were on special.  I asked the clerk if they had any cool specials and he lit up and told me about these drives.  The cool thing is they are powered via USB and are ultra thin.  I really did not need them however I can use them.  I save money by buying on sale.

My next computer will have an Intel CPU even if it cost more.

Keith Smith