Question on Cable versus DSL

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Fri Feb 8 09:26:50 MST 2013

This is a common problem with any DSL, and why telco's are now simply
migrating to fiber as replacing with new twisted pair copper is simply
dumb.  Twisted pair is unshielded by old default, which means modulation
is never as stable as (good) coax to modulate higher frequencies and
speeds.  In-town, VDSL requires new, shielded copper runs to achieve it,
but you'll only find this if your region was built new within the past
5-10 years (if that).  It's still quite variable based on a friends
experiences just two nights ago complaining about it.

I'm a bit biased having worked in cable internet industry from almost
the onset of the tech (not currently though), but short of fiber, it's
your best, and most stable solutions generally.  I've posted some links
in the past with info on this topic as well if you do a search of
archives, but there's plenty out there.

The only saving grace legacy telco's have with only old twisted pair
infrastructure is marketing at this point to stretch the truth a bit of
what "max speeds" are "up to".  The rest is vapor until they replace it
with fiber.

-mb