format thumb drive

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Feb 6 11:47:15 MST 2013

From: Michael Havens
> How is [formatting a USB drive] done? I tried to merely delete everything
> off of the drive but couldn't:
>
> $: sudo rm -rf *
> rm: cannot remove `install-upon-restore-Laptop.txt': Read-only file system

Either the disk was mounted read-only, or it was mounted with
errors=remount-ro and had a filesystem error on it.  You generally use mke2fs
or mkdosfs or mkntfs on the partition's device node to format it, as in
"mke2fs -j /dev/sdb1".  Get the disk name and partition number right, or
you'll probably destroy a bunch of stuff you'd rather not destroy.

> I found xbmcbuntu and it worked great from the disk but after I installed
> it the X server wouldn't work.
>   (EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)

Your xorg.conf file is trying to load the type1 X module, which this distro
doesn't have.  This is... odd if the distro ran an automatic X configuration
tool while it was being installed.  You may be able to generate an X config
file that'll work better by running "X -configure" when X isn't running,
although you may have to edit that file and change its default color depth to
24 if it defaults to 8.  8-bit color is practically unusable in this modern
age....

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows