format thumb drive

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 11:50:41 MST 2013

First try the mount command and look for your thumb drive in the
results.  At the end of the line for your thumb drive there should be
something like this (rw) or (ro).  If you see ro the device is mounted
read only.  It needs to be mounted read write (rw) to be able to delete
anything.  Don't forget the slider.  It may be set to write protect.
Remove the thumb drive, move the slider and try again.

Derek

On 02/06/2013 11:05 AM, Michael Havens wrote:
> How is it done? I tried to merely delete everything off of the drive
> but couldn't:
>
> $: sudo rm -rf *
> rm: cannot remove `install-upon-restore-Laptop.txt': Read-only file system
> rm: cannot remove `install-upon-restore-PC.txt': Read-only file system
> rm: cannot remove `Mark Work History.rtf': Read-only file system
> rm: cannot remove `msgr11us.exe': Read-only file system
> rm: cannot remove `Resume-Resume.odt': Read-only file system
> rm: cannot remove `The New Kind.zip': Read-only file system
> rm: cannot remove `Yearly Template.ods': Read-only file system
>
>  I want to do this so I can create the usb drive for xbmc.
>
> I found xbmcbuntu and it worked great from the disk but after I
> installed it not so much. The the x server wouldn't work. It took me
> to a (text) log in screen but it was flashing on an interval of about
> once a second. I did login and typed 'startx' and that stopped the
> flashing but:

>   Module Loader present
>   Markers: (--) probed, (**) frrom config file, (==) default
> setting.... (etc)
>   (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: <time>
>   (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
>   (EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)  (EE)
> No devices detected.
>
>   Fatal server error:
>   No screens found
>   Giving up.
>   <?>init: Connection reset by peer (errno 104): unable to connect to
> X server
>   <?>init: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
>
> <?>= what can't read or guess as to what is there
> Looking at this it seems it has something to do with module 'type1'
> not being present meaning it has to do with ubuntu?
> May I hazard to guess that 'type1' is a variable that hasn't been
> assigned?

"I get my copy of the daily paper, look at the obituaries page, and if I'm not there, I carry on as usual."

Patrick Moore