ff buttons, menus, etc. don't work

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sun Dec 22 20:54:28 MST 2013

Am 22. Dec, 2013 schwätzte Dazed_75 so:

moin moin,

I've had firefox lose it's display while some part of the core engine
coneintues and continues to hold a lock. Killing the pid of the remaining
process tends to open the lock.

$ dpkg -l | grep iceweasel
ii  iceweasel                             17.0.10esr-1~deb7u1
amd64        Web browser based on Firefox

ciao,

der.hans

> I just had a problem with Firefox 26 (which was upgraded in the last few
> days) on Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit.  Not the same as yours though and you did not
> say what version of FF.
>
> In my case I went to start firefox which I had run last night AND exited
> normally but Ubuntu said it was already running and I would need to exit
> that first before running another (weird huh?).  There did not appear to be
> one on any workspace and the Unity launcher was not indicating one.
> Normally, even if there was one, there would be a pip showing on the
> launcher and clicking on it would just take me to the open application.
>
> However, ps showed a firefox process running so I killed it and the Firefox
> could be opened and seems to run normally.  Makes me wonder is there is
> some memory leak causing these problems.  Not like they don't have some
> history of leaks.
>

> On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 1:29 AM, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:
>
>> moin moin,
>>
>> menu items are no longer working for me with Firefox. This includes in
>> page items as well as file, dit, view, etc. and also add-ons with buttons
>> at the bottom and top. Everything. Browsing still works as long as I don't
>> need a menu.
>>
>> Trying html drop downs results in the following error:
>>
>> (iceweasel:9467): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_peek_children: assertion
>> `GDK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed
>>
>> iceweasel on debian stable with KDE.
>>
>> Tried safe-mode and still didn't work.
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>> --
>> #  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes/
>> #  Im Zweifelsfall wähle das am interessantesten. -- der.hans

#  "So the environment is not a luxury ... It is an economically important
#  insurance policy whose wisdom we ignore at our peril."
#  -- Klaus Toepfer, U.N. environment agency Executive Director