Reiserfs

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Oct 18 10:57:41 MST 2012

I ran reiserfs for _everything_ I did up to about 2yr ago switching to
ext4 once Reiser was sentenced and likely never going to write code
again.  In that time I never once had fs corruption occur to lose data,
and only don't think once I had to repair a file system with reiser.
Performance was lacking as others were still evolving where it had
stopped, so I moved on begrudgingly.

That was in days that laptop bios was dubious contributors to unclean
shutdowns/suspends and other ugliness, so I was quite impressed with it.

Flip side, ext4 has been caused me more corruption than I care to admit
or know, having to a few times single-user a box to manually fsck it.  I
get lots of dubious oddities I attribute to the fs, but could also be
the (crappy) ssd's, as that was about the time I switched to using them
too.  I layer encryption, lvm, and raid enough that I lose trim ability,
so not sure how much that factors into it.  All in all I consider going
back to reiser occasionally in frustration...

Side note, I saw just yesterday development is actually still ongoing
with reiser4, as his work is being carried on by another
contributor/employee of reiser's old company making progress.  I
somewhat plan on going btrfs to lose the lvm/raid layering done with
lvm2 and md today (and get trim/protest ext4 pissing me off), but if not
that, I might try reiser4 at some point for grins.  Any one else brave
enough to run it on a machine they use yet?

-mb