Reiserfs

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Oct 18 09:00:19 MST 2012

From: Derek Trotter
> I noticed when I installed the latest kubuntu a couple of weeks ago
> that reiserfs was one of the options to use for formatting the
> partition.   Does it have some advantage over newer filesystems? Or
> is it there because it's been around for several years?

There are theoretical advantages to using reiserfs if you've got a huge number
of small files.  I didn't notice any difference in performance between
reiserfs and ext3 when I had partitions of both types on the same system,
though.  Reports from the trenches say that if you've got filesystem
corruption, then reiserfsck has a greater chance of totally hosing everything
than e2fsck does.  The one time I had to use reiserfsck, it recovered
everything, but that's just me.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows