Cups issues

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Mar 8 10:40:25 MST 2012

Thanks everyone.

Using 12.04 64bit
Found/installed the .deb drivers already, no joy
Brother cupswrapper drivers are installed prior to anything added, dpkg
shows them as happy with ii
Removed/deleted/tried numerous different things, no joy
Found some issues with 32b libs in 11.10, did the same "fix" here (copy
/usr/lib/* brother libs to lib32)
Doesn't show any errors or anything and works normally other than the blanks

I've checked cups access/error, syslog, etc with no errors to be had -
it thinks everything is dandy.  Only thing I see is periodic discovery
errors once a day.

Odd part was when adding the printer in cups, it found it with mdns, but
there were 4 instances of it "found".  I've tried each, thinking maybe
it's some iteration of port/driver/etc, but they've all worked the same,
thinking it's a disconnect from cups to the apps.

I've never NOT been able to print by default without any drivers when
I've tried, it's the first time I've had to deal with vendor drivers so
no idea what to expect with cups.  With no logs or anything showing
anything wrong, I'm a bit up a creek as I'm not familiar enough with
cups to start systracing it or the apps printer functions.  I need to
find some docs how exactly cups works - it's never been a very
interesting point of research for me before.  :)

-mb