CenturyLink/DirectTV

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Sun Jul 29 19:12:54 MST 2012

On 07/28/2012 11:51 AM, keith smith wrote:
> I home office and twitched from a consumer package to a business package
> so I would have the ability to run a server.  I ran a server part time
> for testing only.  I was testing out the Qmail Toaster.
>
> I had a bad experience running a server about 10 years ago.  I left the
> email relay open and was exploited.  Since then I have been leery of
> running server out of my house.

With Cox, you pretty much need a business account to run a mail server.
Otherwise, you'd need to have DynDNS or some other service provider
handle your DNS and both incoming and outbound email, which is still
less expensive than a business account, but it gets to be a bit of a
pain, especially if you plan to have more than a single domain. Cox
residential used to block port 80 as well, so if you'll be doing web
sites, you'll need a reverse proxy somewhere.

On the DSL side of things, I've been running Qmail Toaster on
residential DSL since May'06 or so. I had a dynamic address, and used
DynDNS for DNS and outbound email. When they started blocking port 25 a
few weeks ago, I ponied up for a static address (still a residential
account). The additional cost is pretty much offset by the savings in
not having to use DynDNS for DNS and outbound email any more.

Sorry to hear about your open relay experience, Keith. That's not so
easy to do any more, and there are numerous online checkers that will
test your configuration for you. FWIW, I took over leadership of the
Qmail Toaster project the beginning of this year, and we'd love to see
anyone interested join us on the qmail-toaster email list. I know we
have a few users in the Phoenix area, and hundreds others world wide. We
just finished setting up our DNS infrastructure, and we have 13 DNS
servers on 5 continents. Overkill, I know. It's nice to see what the
community can do though. I'm eager to see what else is in store.

--
-Eric 'shubes'