CenturyLink/DirectTV

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sat Jul 28 18:51:27 MST 2012

I do, mostly my lab, but I have it running on a residential connection,
and only the mid/20mb package.  I can ipsec or ssl-vpn to my asa, and do
what I need to remotely when on business from my lte router from my
internal network.

I don't use a lot of bandwidth (aside from personal usenet reaping),
it's mostly internal stuff with vmware, various linux systems, ad
controllers to play with, storage, and a host of other vm's, but it
amounts to quite a few.  That mostly stays gige within my house though.
  I nat everything out one address, and vpn in for everything else.

I'm planning to go business services once I actually need higher uptime
than I get now (ie someone to come when it breaks asap), and they're
good for it.

Pro-tip - If you have a relation with a cox account manager (or know
someone at times) from bigger businesses with fiber connectivity or
such, you can sometimes get a deal as a "teleworker" package personally,
which amounts to "bulk" connectivity for business service cable to
aggregate their workforce on cox connections with business-level mttr.
Generally its the highest-service level package, business response, and
~$80 dollar price tag at last check.

It's usually kind of a hook-up deal, but depends if your business
account manager likes you spending money with them, and enough of it.  :)

-mb