I need opinions.

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Feb 16 00:21:05 MST 2012

Exactly, something basic like a blog, about the author, some links to
relevant things, thoughts, etc.  Then maybe a sales pitch.  Ideally
you'd use seo to spam, er guide people to your page, pitch em, have them
click on a paypal link or some such, auth, and profit.  Whatever such
you intend for them to do once there, you first need to drive people
there, meaning you need to be found, and not immediately closed as
irrelevant.  These will give you a somewhat secure and well documented
way to make a basic, manageable, and attractive site.

Wordpress, joomla, etc all have a certain amount of presentation that
makes your site relevant to google robots with keywords, or can be made
to.  I don't deal with that end of it, but others here can speak to them
individually.  Pick out a theme, just don't go crazy and make it
myspace-ish with nauseating graphics everywhere.  Then look up "search
engine optimization" and dig to get it out there.

What you want in your cms is a wealth of community (support) and
plugins/modules in whatever you choose, and all aforementioned software
have plenty of them.  There are also hosted solutions of most of them
canned to minimize the sysadmin involved - upload a theme and content,
off you go.

Tough part is giving someone a reason to stay around your site - one
page won't do that, let alone sell a cause.

-mb