Questions about Kubuntu 12.04 and its updates

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Thu Dec 27 14:16:14 MST 2012

I understand where you are coming from but you need not worry .  The
updates you are seeing are the next maintenance release coming in.  It's
still the exact same version of KDE you have had the whole time, they
are just simply giving you the bug/security fixes that have come out
within that KDE version.  It should be completely safe to go ahead and
do the upgrade since you won't be gaining or losing any features, just
fixing bugs.

If you ever do want to get the newer version of KDE, you will need to
load a PPA (Personal Package Archive) that the KDE maintainers for
kubuntu keep that will give you access to the new version... or upgrade
to a newer version of Kubuntu of course.

I can tell you that the very next version of KDE doesn't add a whole lot
of new features, but they have ported much of the system to use
QTQuick/Plasma Quick, which give you a noticeable speed improvement and
smoother overall feel.

Brian Cluff