LTE Speeds / accessibility

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 12:20:08 MST 2012

I'm on Tmobile's 4G - which isn't LTE.  I hope Tmob stays with the way
they're going.

While their peak speed isn't as high as LTE can be, it's still not bad and
they've done several other things right:

* They're hot-rodding their older 3G network, basically - going from HSPA
to HSPA+.  This has let them expand 3G service for those users in lockstep
with 4G expansion.  Anybody on Verizon/Sprint/ATT 3G CDMA is seeing their
coverage frozen while those guys add 4G LTE support.  Not so Tmobile.

* Phones on Tmob don't have to have separate radios for voice and data, so
battery life is often better - esp. on lower-end devices.

* This "add versus replace" concept has let Tmob expand 4G faster and
cheaper.  I'm paying $70/mo for data (5gigs) and voice.  If I run out of
data I get slowed down (yeah, a lot) but it's still usable.  I can also
tether for that price and do voice calls while the data is still on,
tethered or otherwise.

* Tmob is by far the most tether-tolerant of the major carriers.

Note: to save money I bought my latest phone (HTC MyTouch 4G, Android 2.3)
for $100 at a pawn shop.  Damned good phone, actually.  This shaved $20 off
my bill for two years!  Used on Tmobile is the cheap way to go.

Jim