LTE Speeds / accessibility

Kevin Fries kevin at fries-biro.com
Mon Apr 16 12:26:26 MST 2012

On Mon, 2012-04-16 at 12:02 -0700, Stephen wrote:
> So far i have loved the 4g experience in the phx metro area. I get
> better reception in areas where i had iffy 3g coverage. and the speeds
> have ranged from 2-10x better depending on where i was. if i get 3 or
> more bars i can usually get 15-20MB up and down.

I found the article interesting.  But I find that many times, the
experience is city dependent.  I actually live in Denver, but all of my
family is in Goodyear.  Until recently I would be in Phoenix 4-5 times a
year, and could really see a difference.  Here in Denver, my AT&T
service blew away my wife's Verizon coverage.  Far better coverage,
fewer dropped calls, and faster data.  So much so that now we are all on
AT&T.

When I was in Goodyear & Litchfield Park, my AT&T was crap, garbage,
completely useless.  All of my family there (mom, sister and her family)
have all switched to Verizon and been very happy.  But when they came up
here last year, their phones were crap, garbage, and completely useless.

So, the moral of the story is, nation wide numbers are great if you are
a cross country trucker, or travel often for business.  But for the vast
majority of people, the only statistic that really matters is the ones
for your city.

Just my $0.02

Kevin F