Ubuntu 12.04 and unity.

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 10:00:54 MST 2012

MichaelB, what release are you running?  I've installed something like 8
Desktop Managers (DMs) on my ubuntu 11.10.  I did this for a presentation I
did on installing additional DMs.

The problems I've seen are a few extra programs installed for the
lightweight DMs, I now get the xubuntu splash at some time in startup and
shutdown regardless of which DM I actually use, and some of the DMs don't
play well with older projectors.  Cinnamon works great.

This thread is really about 12.04 and I have not tried these things on
12.04.

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Michael Butash <michael at butash.net> wrote:

> I wish that were the case for me - gnome3 won't even launch with multiple
> framebuffers requiring me to drop to a tty and restart lightdm to choose
> something else.  Cinnamon is broken on the same display as well.  Sadly
> with the "new desktops", unity works the best, which isn't saying much in
> the least.  It's like 2005 all over again, hacking entirely around ui
> short-sightedness.
>
> At this point the only thing gnome-ish left I can use is gedit and
> gnome-terminal, even nautilus is still broken on multiple displays. Other
> than that, avant-window-navigator and cairo-dock provide all my task and
> tray management.
>
> -mb
>

> On 04/11/2012 09:56 PM, Stephen wrote:
>
>> Well while i may hate unity, getting gnome2/3 working is a cakewalk
>> now. install the one you want. logout and pick the one you want.
>>
>> you do end up wasting space with unity still installed, but at least it
>> works.

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
CC:. Remove all addresses from the message body before sending a Forwarded
message. This can prevent spy programs capturing addresses from the
recipient list and message body.