Ubuntu 12.04 and unity.

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Apr 12 15:45:10 MST 2012

Precise 12.04 now, 64bit.

It's not so much about installing 1 or 10, it's about not a one of the
"next-gen" desktops has been ever tested with more than one framebuffer
or very large ones it seems.  I'm pretty sure the problems are not
apparent in a *simple* dual monitor, single framebuffer config (i.e.
nvidia twinview), but rather when you have DISPLAY:0.0 and DISPLAY:0.1
to the system.  Compiz and the ATI drivers I'm reasonably sure is the
root of all evil, and 5760x1200 x2 displays.

Unity with 12.04, and the unity plugin itself can somewhat deal with
multiple framebuffers now, but nautilus still causes this lovely "white
screen" effect on my second monitor set when launched.  Gnome-Shell just
freezes when logging in, getting a wallpaper, but nothing more before
having to flip tty's and restart lightdm.  Cinnamon's task bars won't
render at all.  Kde was so-so, but most apps had issues with the
displays between the giant render modes.

Cinnamon's half-broken state is more or less what I use, overlaying awn
and cairo to make it usable, but when I get a chance I've been meaning
to put lxde on there to see how it fares.

I really hoped when they announced on canonical's blog a good 6 months
or more ago now they'd finally bought their dev a 6-head display to test
with maybe things would finally get better, but apparently not.  I'd
love what and how they're actually testing with it as I'm still only
sorta working here, and only because I have worked around everything
that defaults to simply broken.

Sadly I'd tried win7 for the first time on a native dual-head display
with separate framebuffers the other day, and had a bunch of quirky
issues with mremote and some others dragging between displays.  Guess
Linux isn't the only one not getting it, but at least I didn't have to
pay 200 bucks for the priviledge of debugging the os for the vendor.

-mb