The devil you know

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Thu Mar 24 15:34:44 MST 2011

I absolutely agree with you about the initial switch to KDE that
kubuntu, as well as a number of other distros, did and if you went to
Aaron Seigo's talk at ableconf a year and a half ago you would have
heard his spit a lot of venom at a lot of the distros for adopting KDE4
as their primary KDE desktop well before it had the official blessing
from the KDE authors.  The way I see it is that they are both at fault
because although the KDE people did say that 4.0 was only meant to be a
preview release in order to get people developing for the new system
they did give it a "dot oh" release which implies a certain amount of
"doneness/readyness".

Fast forward to 2009 and you get a KDE release that actually has the
blessing of the authors and it was pretty good, a little rough, but
usable.  I still wouldn't blame someone for not dealing with the little
bit of roughness... although I would have called 4.3 the 4.0 release.

These days with 4.6.1 it again feels like a complete, fast, stable,
desktop.  And although it's a different system than the original, I
don't feel feel like I'm using a completely different desktop than 3.5.
  The defaults tend to use the new versions of things like the new
fangled K menu, dolphin instead of konqueror...etc...etc, but they seem
to have really gone out of their way to make available configurations
that act exactly like the old KDE 3.5 versions of things... with that
being said, I've forced myself to use a lot of the new stuff just to see
why they decided to make the switch and for the most part I get it and
tend to use the new stuff.  The new menu with it's quick search feature
has me very rarely plowing through the various menus trying to find
where a program is locations, and dolphin launches much more quickly
than konqueror and makes me feel more like I'm using a file browser and
less like I'm using a web browser, image viewer thingy that happens to
also be a file browser.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is if it's been a while since you used
KDE4, you should really give it another honest try.  It really doesn't
resemble the steaming pile of crap that the first few releases acted like.

Brian Cluff