Debian Sarge/Etch Build ImageMagick/PerlMagick, and apt-get

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sat Mar 19 05:01:23 MST 2011

I addressed the apt-get errors with legacy debian sarge and etch in the
following ways:

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com>wrote:

> 0) Evidently the 4.1 gcc could not build PerlMagick.
>
> <snip>
>
> 1) Debian sarge could have been updated to etch, and full apt-get package
> updates competed at some point in the past.  However these sources appear to
> no longer be available?

All debian sarge are considered no longer stable (due to known limitations
and issues) for production, but updates and sources have been moved to
archive.debian.org (along with etch)

So your /etc/apt/sources.list would now have to be changed to read:

*deb http://archive.debian.org/debian sarge main contrib

or

deb http://archive.debian.org/debian etch main contrib
*
Run:

# apt-get update

Reference:  http://www.debian.org/distrib/archive

*For people with partially updated sarge to etch, and broken package
management:*

Update /etc/apt/sources.list file to reflect the archive repos:

# apt-get update

Search for the latest kernel and install it

# apt-get install linux-image-686.

Expect to run

# apt-get -f install

Review the grub menu list for new kernel and verify it is the default at
boot.

# apt-get dist-upgrade

Verify removed, installed and upgraded and let it go…

When prompted choose some options for debconf.

“Dialog” will display debconf questions and you can ignore questions with a
priority less than “medium”.

You will be asked if you want to adduser to create sytem-wide readable home
dirs.  You can opt no (but it does increase security/privacy).

The x-server package may not be installed during an upgrade so you will be
warned to check for it following the process.

You will be warned packages changed, for instance  ProFTPd may need some
help following the upgrade due to some changes in how it’s compiled and
configured.

Portmap needed to know if it should be bound to loopback, you can tell it
NO.

There were a few other program specific questions that you must answer; just
accept the defaults.

When returned to a prompt run

# shutdown -r now
Also see:
http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Aptitude_-_using_together_with_Synaptic_and_Apt-get

Gee, I have to answer my own posts!  Go figure!

--
(503) 754-4452 iPhone
(623) 239-3392 Skype
(623) 688-3392 Google Voice