Need Help with Wireless Networking on a New Install of Ubuntu 11.04

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 18:24:14 MST 2011

Mark,
If this has not been resolved, please post what version of ubuntu you are
trying out, the details of your hardware (make, model) and the output from
running lshw -short and iwconfig in a terminal.

Thanks,
Larry

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz>wrote:

> I thought i would give ubuntu a try for a new laptop install. It all works,
> except wireless networking. My main frustration is adding/deleting/editing
> network connections through the network gui: changes to connections are not
> kept when I click save, new connections don't appear in the dropdown from
> the taskbar, and old connections remain in the drop down from the task bar
> after then are deleted from the networking gui. I have tried rebooting, and
> still connections remain that have been deleted and new ones don't shoe up.
> I also tried editing a connection, (removing the password for WPA Personal),
> and I still get a popup asking for authentication, but no way to enter it
> into the dialog...the wireless security drop down is grayed out. Finally,
> when I tried /etc/init.d/networking stop/start, I get a message about using
> services networking start, but that command gives an error "rejected send
> message"....when I tried service networking stop I get the error stop:
> Unknown instance. I am a long time user of Debian, and I thought Ubuntu was
> supposed to be the easier/friendlier dialect......
>
> My apologies for a long rant....my question
>
> Short of a complete system re-install, how do I get the networking gui
> working, or better yet, how do I clean out the old connections that don't
> work and start fresh with setting up the wireless from the command line?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson