Need Help with Wireless Networking on a New Install of Ubuntu 11.04

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Sat Jul 9 20:24:04 MST 2011

Final resolution....for Ubuntu 11.04, fresh install, on a Dell Latitude c640
laptop. Wifi card is Mini PCI, Internal, Agere Systems, 2.4GHz, which I
believe is a Dell True Mobile 1150 Mini-PCI Card, the driver is orinoco.

1. Neither Network Manager nor WICD can get the internal wifi card to work.
I still get the same error message: "Lucent/Agere firmware does not support
manual roaming".

2. I tried a cardbus wireless nic, Netgear WG511T, with WICD, and it would
not recognize the card.

3. I tried the Netgear WG511T card with Network Manger, and it worked right
away - wireless connection, WPA security, etc.

So, I am up and running with the Netgear WG511T and withe internal WIFI card
disabled in BIOS.

Thanks for everyone's help! Especially Lisa, who went above and beyond this
afternoon!

Mark