Need Help with Wireless Networking on a New Install of Ubuntu 11.04

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 18:11:09 MST 2011

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing: as long as you're not using a
cellular broadband connection or tethered cellphone, rip out Network
Manager and drop Wicd in there instead.

Wicd is more reliable with WiFi but it didn't have cellmodem support
last time I looked.  That may have changed for all I know.

You COULD do a cellmodem connection with an old-school dial-up script
run at the command line.  It's a pain but I used to do that a lot
before Network Manager got smart about cellmodems.  Or, you may be
using a smartphone that will act as a WiFi hotspot, or you could
tether to a cellphone across Bluetooth via the Bluetooth manager and
run that in combation with Wicd.

Jim