backup entire system

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 10:19:55 MST 2011

I would use clonezilla (http://clonezilla.org/) to make a "initial
system image" (its really partimage and DD wrapped up in a series of
easy scripts) or you can use redo as a live cd
(http://redobackup.org/) which is a great disk cloning tool, but it
does not play nice with windows file systems, or at least i have not
figured it out yet. Then you can use rsync to keep your critical user
files backed up (even across multiple systems to a central location)
and you now have wicked fast disaster recovery.

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I got things just the way I want them. How do I make a miiror image of my
> hard drive? dd? Or is there a more user friendly way? I kinda want to do it
> like a raid  would do it. You know.... where I would just recopy the image
> if my computer gets corrupted and it would be like the day I made the
> image...... hmmmm.... google it! I found system rescue cd!
> (http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page) DOes this sound good? What do you all
> recommend? You know, on the first page about this one of the programs is
> partimage and they say that one of the limitations of it is that it does not
> support ext4 filesystem. hmmmmm.... after a bit of reading me thinks this
> doesn't work with ext4 even though the 'Main Page' says it does. Do any of
> you know any differently?..... hmmmmm..... I've been looking but all of the
> copy programs say  they support ext2 & 3 but not 4. What do you say?
>
> --

Stephen