backup entire system

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Thu Dec 29 03:55:29 MST 2011

I have cloned and restored 2464720174+1 systems with:
rsync -vaxHXY --checksum /path1 /path2 /path3 someone at remotebox:/mybackup

The 'x' constrain the sweep to a partition to avoid memory directories
(/proc, /dev, /sys) which forces to explicitly name every mounted directory
to copy.

Then you can 'restore' with:
rsync -vaxHXY --checksum someone at remotebox:/mybackup /
All the options are important (except '-v'), but specially '-H' *HAS* to be
there if you are cloning directories with kernel files or the resulting
system will eventually become unstable.
Free advise, can't sue me...   :)
YMMV
ET