Ben Browning benb at bensbrowning.com
Sun Dec 4 03:11:39 MST 2011

I meant after grub picks up, when X is loading. Press esc AFTER the
kernel is booting, like when the screen has blanked, thrown up some
text, and is getting graphical again. That should show you the "real"
boot sequence, tell you what it is doing while it does it... This is
what your OS usually does when it's hidden behind a pretty "Starting,
please wait" screen. Wherever that hangs is usually your problem.

The kernel stays when you add a new one because if the new one doesn't
work you want to boot up and fix it. If you really *want* to stick
with your own kernel, they are labeled in the config blocks in
/boot/grub/menu.1st and the "default" option will be referenced near
the top of the file. Change the "default" line to the label of the
kernel you want to boot from and there you go.

Hope that helps.

~Ben