Ubuntu Linux losing popularity fast. New Unity interface to blame? | Royal Pingdom

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Thu Dec 1 12:46:38 MST 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 12:36 -0700, Kevin Fries wrote:
> Canonical started with Gnome3, and got upset about Gnome-Shell, so
> decided to write their own to "fix" what they perceived as a problem.

Just to clear up some factual inaccuracies here.  What is now Unity
started as Netbook Launcher and pre-dates GNOME Shell.  I, along with
several other Canonical employees, attended the GNOME design sprint
where GNOME Shell was born and we decided to stick with the path we were
on instead of adopting that one.  Later we ported Unity to the
GNOME3/GTK3 stack after it was released and mostly stable.

		--Ted