Ubuntu Linux losing popularity fast. New Unity interface to blame? | Royal Pingdom

Kevin Fries kevin at fries-biro.com
Thu Dec 1 12:36:00 MST 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 12:12 -0700, Michael Butash wrote:
> Agreed - that was one of the first things I killed:
>
> sudo apt-get remove appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-gtk appmenu-qt
>
> Just reverse that to put it back if you really miss the stupid mac-like
> behavior.  Biggest reason for me to be rid of it is I can't spawn unity
> menus on each framebuffer set, so nothing on my second monitor set had
> menus...  Brilliant!
>
> This was a good find for making oneiric suck less:
>
> http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/things-to-tweak-after-installing-ubuntu.html

Canonical started with Gnome3, and got upset about Gnome-Shell, so
decided to write their own to "fix" what they perceived as a problem.
To me, this was just as successful as the government "fixing" the drug
problem.  Therefore, many of the problems you prerceive are actually
Gnome & GTK issues, not Unity.

One of the biggest mistakes Canonical made was going it alone with
Unity, instead of working within.  So, for example, the menus
disappeared in Gnome-Shell, but others worked within the system to fix
the problem, and extensions now exist... For Shell.  I have a places
menu, and a desktops menu on my bar, but I decided to not enable the
applications menu.  I may try docky next to get my launchbar back again.

I know the buttons disappeared on Gnome-Shell, but again, I think this
was a GTK change, not a Shell change.  So... Unity probably got caught
up in it.  I turned the min/max buttons back on for a while with a gconf
setting (I have since turned it off, forced myself to use the new
paradigm, and retrained myself to the point where I don't miss it any
more because I am more productive using the new way).

To turn the menus back on your windows, look in GConf.  To turn you
min/max buttons on, also look in GConf.  You may need to go directly
into the editor, since Canonical decided you don't need these settings
(OK, I guess I am just getting cranky now, and need to stop).

Kevin