Ubuntu Linux losing popularity fast. New Unity interface to blame? | Royal Pingdom

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Dec 1 13:26:27 MST 2011

If you look at the general pattern of linux-based netbook's, I think
they were somewhat ill-received because they tried the captive
portal/single-pane approach.  I bought an Asus EEEBox to use as a
portable server, but I played with the interface before nuking it.  It
was horribly inadequate/crippled for desktop use forcing a single pane
without windowing, and was kludgy compared to true touch-based device it
was trying to emulate.  Worked great with ubuntu server with text on it
though once I nuked the disks.  :)

Fist time I saw unity, I thought "good god, someone thought that eee
linux interface was a good idea".  Then somehow gnome shell fell inline
too.  I guess the non-oldschool linux geeks probably want something more
ipod-ish (eww), but I think the general decline of ubuntu users
(directly inverse to mint's rise) and intertube outrage toward
unity/gshell says enough that this is NOT what current linux users want.

That said, microsoft is again playing catchup (again) to this linux
trend - last time i saw images of win8, it looks like unity/gshell too.
  Just like vista looked way too much like compiz/beryl by the time it
came out.  Either way, I suppose everything will just mimic an ipod for
saleability to cattle soon regardless.  Everyone else will still be
using gnome2 forks with xp vm's like our cranky old parents still
clinging to the good old days.

/me pounds cane on the floor and looks for dentures

-mb