Who does what?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 20:49:54 MST 2011

AZloco has set up a BigBlueButton ( http://bigbluebutton.org/ ) server (
http://azlocobbb.banditti.com/ ).  When we try to use it from a browser in
linux at locations like ASU, UAT where they block some traffic, we sometimes
get disconnected or worse.  However, when we do the same thing from a
browser in Windows (e.g. Firefox in both OSes), everything works fine.  I
found this:

What ports must be open for external users to connect to BigBluebutton?

> These ports are 80 (HTTP), 9123 (Desktop Sharing), and 1935 (RTMP). These
> ports are all TCP ports.
> Does BigBlueButon support tunneling?
>
> Yes. If a remote user is unable to connect to port 1935, which typically
> occurs when a remote user's corporate firewall blocks external access to all
> other ports except port 80, then their BigBlueButton client will fail to
> connect to port 1935 and, after about ten seconds, fall back to tunneling
> through port 80.

on
http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/FAQ#What_ports_must_be_open_for_external_users_to_connect_to_BigBlue

so it would seem the "client" falling back to tunneling through port 80
happens from windows but not from Linux.  Maybe I am misreading this, but
can anyone enlighten me and/or provide a solution?

--
Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson