Who does what?

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sat Apr 30 21:14:49 MST 2011

Hi Larry,

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Dazed_75 <lthielster at gmail.com> wrote:

> AZloco has set up a BigBlueButton ( http://bigbluebutton.org/ ) server (
> http://azlocobbb.banditti.com/ ).

Kewl toyz!

> When we try to use it from a browser in linux at locations like ASU, UAT
> where they block some traffic, we sometimes get disconnected or worse.
> However, when we do the same thing from a browser in Windows (e.g. Firefox
> in both OSes), everything works fine.  I found this:
>
> What ports must be open for external users to connect to BigBluebutton?
>>
>> These ports are 80 (HTTP), 9123 (Desktop Sharing), and 1935 (RTMP). These
>> ports are all TCP ports.
>> Does BigBlueButon support tunneling?
>>
>> Yes. If a remote user is unable to connect to port 1935, which typically
>> occurs when a remote user's corporate firewall blocks external access to all
>> other ports except port 80, then their BigBlueButton client will fail to
>> connect to port 1935 and, after about ten seconds, fall back to tunneling
>> through port 80.
>>
> on
> http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/FAQ#What_ports_must_be_open_for_external_users_to_connect_to_BigBlue
>
> so it would seem the "client" falling back to tunneling through port 80
> happens from windows but not from Linux.  Maybe I am misreading this, but
> can anyone enlighten me and/or provide a solution?

There are various issues with BigBlueButton API, flash and connecting via
port 80 tunnels that are handled differently from windows, mac and linux.

Each must be investigated via case by case basis (or the devil is in the
details).

The best place to research and troubleshoot this might be:

The BigBlueButton community focuses its support in three mailing lists (all
hosted by Google Groups). They are:

   - bigbluebutton-setup<http://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-setup/topics?gvc=2>--
Setup, instllation, and configuration questions, such as "How do I
   configure the BigBlueButton client?"
   - bigbluebutton-users<http://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-users/topics?gvc=2>--
End user questions, such as "How do I do X with BigBlueButton?"
   - bigbluebutton-dev <http://groups.google.com/group/bigbluebutton-dev> --
   All other questions, such as "How do I integration BigBlueButton with
   application Y?"

The developer mailing list has almost 700 users, so before you post do the
following:

   1. Scan the FAQ to see if you questions is answered herein
   2. Search the archives of the associated mailing list -- there's a good
   chance someone might have already asked your question and the ensuing
   discussion might help you as well
   3. If you think you've found a bug, check the issues
database<http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/issues/list>first.

...end excerpt...

With that said, see:

Issue 785 which refers to flash reconnecting repeatedly under windows:  *
http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/issues/detail?id=785*
Release Notes:  http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/ReleaseNotes
What version are you running of the API?  Many port 80 tunnel issues were
repaired in the later versions.  They recommend to update to 10.10 under
Ubuntu.

For each issue, you need to report the version of the API, the client OS
(Ubuntu?) and Firefox version (on the list or groups at Google)....

Use the source young Jedi nights....

> --
> Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry
>
> The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
> that I wish it always to be kept alive.
>   - Thomas Jefferson

(623) 239-3392 Skype
(623) 688-3392 Google Voice

 http://www.it-clowns.com

"If Python is executable pseudocode, then perl is executable line noise."