Bind Config

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Apr 29 17:41:20 MST 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 2:24 PM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Bind configured on CentOS 5.6
>
> I searched for the named.conf, thinking it would be in /etc .

# updatedb
# locate named.conf

> Instead I find it at /etc/dbus-1/system.d/named.conf - I assume this is an
> example file?
>
> Also from reading the docs I suspect my config is setup is bind-chroot
> because I am finding the directory /var/named/chroot/etc/  ?

Correct all modern bind servers MUST be chroot for security reasons (brute
forcing and fuzzing).

> I assume I should be configuring named.conf in the /var/named/chroot/etc/
> directory?

# man named.conf

> I also found this configuration:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root named      52 Apr 27 18:28 named.caching-nameserver.conf
> -> /var/named/chroot//etc/named.caching-nameserver.conf
>
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root named      42 Apr 27 18:28 named.rfc1912.zones ->
> /var/named/chroot//etc/named.rfc1912.zones
>
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root named      31 Apr 21 09:47 rndc.key ->
> /var/named/chroot//etc/rndc.key
>
> I have cashing name server already configure
> /etc/named.caching-nameserver.conf.  I have not opened port 53 so I assume
> it is not working yet.
>
> I'm sure I'll have 1000 questions this afternoon and tonight.

In CentOs 5 the configurations don't come setup.  You can copy over examples
and season to your tastes (but if you have never run Named, it's daunting).

Try this:

# system-config-bind

Please follow a good CentOs bind installation document or documents:

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/ch-bind.html

Also the public Burton Barr Central Library 5th floor has the original
O'Reilly DNS and Bind book, which makes DNS easier.  Other books are also
available to quench your technolust.

> Any guidance is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks for your help!

(623) 239-3392 Skype
(623) 688-3392 Google Voice

 http://www.it-clowns.com

"If Python is executable pseudocode, then perl is executable line noise."