Ubuntu 11.04, Unity and the "Desktop haters" (like me)

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 09:10:23 MST 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Ted Gould <ted at gould.cx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 08:15 -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
> > I also am not very impressed with Unity.  I have installed the Beta
> > and am giving it a try but so far I see little benefit and some loss
> > of usability.  I'll keep trying it out so maybe I will change my mind.
> > I did start to look forward to it after Ted Gould's talk at SCaLE but
> > no I don't recall why.
>
> I imagine it was my good looks ;-)

I thought I was better looking :)

> > I was glad to hear yesterday that it is beginning to look like Unity
> > may not be the default for 11.04.  Apparently, from what I read, there
> > are too many remaining issues and hence is impetus to delay making it
> > the default until 11.10.
>
> I wouldn't count on that.  AFAIK, there are no release blockers with
> Unity currently.  Certainly there are bugs to be ironed out, but that's
> what betas are for, right?

I went back to the two articles I read and saw there was a reference to this
message:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2011-April/000842.html
so Having read that I see it was just something being brought up by a guest
to the meeting.  Sounds like a false alarm.  Sorry for my excitement.  I
really do wish I could remember why your talk calmed some of my apprehension
about Unity.  If I can find some time to look for it, I will try to find the
online video of it.

> > The other good thing for now is that you can still choose to use a
> > gnome session rather than Unity.  Once you select a user on the login,
> > several things show up on the bottom of the screen giving the defaults
> > for that user and you can change the session default to several
> > options including Gnome.
>
> Certainly, Ubuntu may choose a default desktop but that will never be
> the only desktop.  I personally believe that it's the best desktop, but
> others are welcome to disagree.

Did I not read that Mark Shutteworth was stating it would be the always
installed thing fr 11.10?  It IS still Linux and one can always install
something else, but he sounded very committed to Unity being the future for
ubuntu.

>                --Ted

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson