Ubuntu 11.04, Unity and the "Desktop haters" (like me)

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Wed Apr 13 08:52:57 MST 2011

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 08:15 -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
> I also am not very impressed with Unity.  I have installed the Beta
> and am giving it a try but so far I see little benefit and some loss
> of usability.  I'll keep trying it out so maybe I will change my mind.
> I did start to look forward to it after Ted Gould's talk at SCaLE but
> no I don't recall why.

I imagine it was my good looks ;-)

> I was glad to hear yesterday that it is beginning to look like Unity
> may not be the default for 11.04.  Apparently, from what I read, there
> are too many remaining issues and hence is impetus to delay making it
> the default until 11.10.

I wouldn't count on that.  AFAIK, there are no release blockers with
Unity currently.  Certainly there are bugs to be ironed out, but that's
what betas are for, right?

> The other good thing for now is that you can still choose to use a
> gnome session rather than Unity.  Once you select a user on the login,
> several things show up on the bottom of the screen giving the defaults
> for that user and you can change the session default to several
> options including Gnome.

Certainly, Ubuntu may choose a default desktop but that will never be
the only desktop.  I personally believe that it's the best desktop, but
others are welcome to disagree.

		--Ted