OT: WiFi hardware question

Steven stevensspam at cox.net
Mon Oct 25 23:22:12 MST 2010

Okay, this one seems like a no-brainer question to me but I haven't
dealt with one before. A wireless access point like this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180035 should
get better reception with that antenna than one of those little stubby
USB adapters like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127272

My sister's computer is hooking into our wireless using a USB wireless
adapter about the size of that second link (although it's too old to
still show up on Newegg, I'm just pointing to something similar in
size), and it's never had great reception, but lately it's been very
flaky. Looking over things I realized those access points start in the
same price range as the USB adapters while having those nice antennas
that are longer than the USB sticks are even including the USB plug.

That said, I've never actually used an access point, it's always either
been a built in laptop adapter, a PCMCIA adapter (which got a lousy
signal going through two fewer walls than are between the wireless
router and my sister's computer), or one of those USB wireless adapter
sticks. If I'm catching how it works correctly her computer should
simply see it as a plain old connection over the build in Ethernet port,
correct?