OT: WiFi hardware question

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Tue Oct 26 00:03:01 MST 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:22 PM, Steven <stevensspam at cox.net> wrote:

> Okay, this one seems like a no-brainer question to me but I haven't dealt
> with one before. A wireless access point like this one:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833180035 should get
> better reception with that antenna than one of those little stubby USB
> adapters like this:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127272
>
> My sister's computer is hooking into our wireless using a USB wireless
> adapter about the size of that second link (although it's too old to still
> show up on Newegg, I'm just pointing to something similar in size), and it's
> never had great reception, but lately it's been very flaky. Looking over
> things I realized those access points start in the same price range as the
> USB adapters while having those nice antennas that are longer than the USB
> sticks are even including the USB plug.
>
> That said, I've never actually used an access point, it's always either
> been a built in laptop adapter, a PCMCIA adapter (which got a lousy signal
> going through two fewer walls than are between the wireless router and my
> sister's computer), or one of those USB wireless adapter sticks. If I'm
> catching how it works correctly her computer should simply see it as a plain
> old connection over the build in Ethernet port, correct?

Hmm?  What is your sister's computer?

Using Backtrack4 with either Airpwn, Airsnarf or even WifiZoo, one can
emulate an AP and "catch" all manner of people trying to login to a web
portal spoofing itself as a CC gateway.  If you don't get the CC, you will
get the username and password of local APs perhaps?  A paypal link is like
Gold, since you can use triangulation just as deftly to protect yourself,
cleaning out the funds from a group of accounts that point to each other.

I set up a Nomadix in Produce Row in Portand Oregon, which had a cc forward
for all port 80 traffic attempts to 11wireless.com for the CC details.
I have used ASU's systems which were HORRIBLE!

The OS version might be important also, but only with regards to the
software acting as AP?

A radius server (or ICA certificate Auth server in $M world) can handle the
CC authentication/forwarding and seeming, or any software setup to do so.

The driver to access the "modem, set into AP mode" is connected to the
application, connected to the auth server/process.
Bottom line is:

WE NEED MORE PROECT EQUIPMENT SPECIFICATIONS to answer questions?

Skype: 6022393392
ATT:     5037544452
GV:      6236883392
http://www.it-clowns.com
Politicians should read science fiction, not westerns and detective stories.
-Arthur C. Clark I am free because I know that I alone am morally
responsible for everything I do. -Heinlein