Updates for Server InstallFest

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Mon Oct 25 14:46:29 MST 2010

Am 25. Oct, 2010 schwätzte Eric Shubert so:

moin moin Eric,

thanks for the workshop on Saturday and for following up on it this week!

Thanks also to Larry and the rest of the Installfest crew for picking up
this extra event.

I'm told you had a good turnout on Saturday and the workshop went well
even if you didn't quite finish.

ciao,

der.hans

> We didn't get the server installs finished on Saturday, but will be back at
> the regularly scheduled IF this Saturday (10/30) to hopefully finish up.
>
> Here are updates since we adjourned:
>
> 1) the hurdle we left off with was related to keyboard mapping on VM consoles
> running in the VMware Remote Console plugin. I found this:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1469082 which fixes the problem for
> me with Firefox (create a ~/.vmware/config file with
> xkeymap.nokeycodeMap = true
> as contents, on the computer running VMRC, not the server).
>
> 2) In case anyone's interested, I found the solution to what I thought was a
> video problem on my server. I was using a x86_64 disc when I should have been
> using a i386 disc. DOH! I'm surprised that the install process went as far as
> it did. X wouldn't run, but the text based was working fine. I didn't go
> through with the text based install though because the text installer
> wouldn't let me configure LVMs. I'm glad I waited.
>
> At this point I'm thinking I'll go ahead with completing my server build.
> Then hopefully I can clear any more hurdles there might be before we continue
> on Saturday. Also, I'll be fully available to assist with other builds.
>
> See you again on Saturday!

#  "... the social skills of a cow on acid." - der.hans