Updates for Server InstallFest

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Mon Oct 25 14:29:28 MST 2010

We didn't get the server installs finished on Saturday, but will be back
at the regularly scheduled IF this Saturday (10/30) to hopefully finish up.

Here are updates since we adjourned:

1) the hurdle we left off with was related to keyboard mapping on VM
consoles running in the VMware Remote Console plugin. I found this:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1469082 which fixes the problem
for me with Firefox (create a ~/.vmware/config file with
xkeymap.nokeycodeMap = true
as contents, on the computer running VMRC, not the server).

2) In case anyone's interested, I found the solution to what I thought
was a video problem on my server. I was using a x86_64 disc when I
should have been using a i386 disc. DOH! I'm surprised that the install
process went as far as it did. X wouldn't run, but the text based was
working fine. I didn't go through with the text based install though
because the text installer wouldn't let me configure LVMs. I'm glad I
waited.

At this point I'm thinking I'll go ahead with completing my server
build. Then hopefully I can clear any more hurdles there might be before
we continue on Saturday. Also, I'll be fully available to assist with
other builds.

See you again on Saturday!

--
-Eric 'shubes'