ganglia gmond/gmetric guide?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Tue Mar 30 16:19:24 MST 2010

Am 30. Mär, 2010 schwätzte Alex Dean so:

moin moin Alex,

> On Mar 30, 2010, at 4:26 PM, der.hans wrote:
>
>> Am 30. Mär, 2010 schwätzte Alex Dean so:
>>
>> moin moin Alex,
>>
>> what you wrote below is the best ganglia guide I've found. By far the best
>> I've found! Danke!
>
> No problem.  Glad it helps.  Maybe I'll turn it into a blog post at some
> point.  I'll have to find the references I used in learning this stuff, but I
> remember it being pretty opaque.

Yeah, fairly :(.

>>> They need to be writable by the user running gmetad (nobody?), and
>>> readable by the Apache user.
>>
>> Does ganglia automagically create the rrd files? User running gmetad needs
>> write perms for the rrd dir?
>
> Yes.  Any time gmetad sees a new metric, it will create a new RRD file and
> that data will be automatically graphed in the PHP web app.  I haven't worked
> with string metrics much, but I think those might be an exception, and be
> in-memory only.  You might try generating some numeric metrics as well, since
> those should flow all the way to the filesystem on the gmetad box.

I'm trying to add numeric stuff ( mysql stats and some log counts ), but
went with lsb_release as a pared down item for testing.

> Using ls in the rrds directory is another debugging route you could try (once
> you get permissions sorted out).  There's a delay between when gmetad sees a
> new metric and when it actually creates the rrd file, but I don't think it's
> very long.

OK.

I'm getting MySQL entries, but no graphs and they link to pages that only
show the URL of the page with no data or information.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes        http://www.TwoGeekTechs.com/
#  Director of Engineering, FonWallet Transaction Solutions, Inc.