ganglia gmond/gmetric guide?

Alex Dean alex at crackpot.org
Tue Mar 30 16:05:25 MST 2010

On Mar 30, 2010, at 4:26 PM, der.hans wrote:

> Am 30. Mär, 2010 schwätzte Alex Dean so:
>
> moin moin Alex,
>
> what you wrote below is the best ganglia guide I've found. By far
> the best
> I've found! Danke!

No problem.  Glad it helps.  Maybe I'll turn it into a blog post at
some point.  I'll have to find the references I used in learning this
stuff, but I remember it being pretty opaque.

>>> Both give exit status of 0.
>>> It's not showing up in /var/ganglia/rrds.
>>> Who should own those rrds files? We have them owned by root, but
>>> gmond
>>> runs as an unprivileged user?
>>
>> They need to be writable by the user running gmetad (nobody?), and
>> readable by the Apache user.
>
> Does ganglia automagically create the rrd files? User running gmetad
> needs
> write perms for the rrd dir?

Yes.  Any time gmetad sees a new metric, it will create a new RRD file
and that data will be automatically graphed in the PHP web app.  I
haven't worked with string metrics much, but I think those might be an
exception, and be in-memory only.  You might try generating some
numeric metrics as well, since those should flow all the way to the
filesystem on the gmetad box.

Using ls in the rrds directory is another debugging route you could
try (once you get permissions sorted out).  There's a delay between
when gmetad sees a new metric and when it actually creates the rrd
file, but I don't think it's very long.

alex