VOIP shopping time

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Mon Mar 29 19:53:11 MST 2010

You can get a $9 per month SIP trunk with axvoice.com that can be setup with
any softphone application or conference solution.  They send you, with your
setup fee, a grandstream ATA that works with one RJ45 and one 10/100 and the
ability to add Stun server (udp packet helpers) and configure the tiny
firmware.  Other Grandsteam ATA's include external upsteam interface and LAN
network interface(s) [more than one] as the costs rise.

Grandstream's ATA also work well with Trixbox, a famous ISO that installs a
complete OpenPBX and following Kerry Garrisons' Asterisktutorials, and
voip-info.org you will be able to simply get something like this up and
running.

(I did it in 4 hours for a dial around application and PBX autoattendent
that gave the caller choices to:

a) Get a dialtone out (with a password) useful when configured in
conjunction with Cell phone unlimited to home, since you get ZERO minutes
charges and can talk all day.

b) Ring me on all of my extensions - softphones, ata, and cell at the same
time.

c) Leave a long message.

d) Listen to various stories, help files, or other voice recordings.

f) Call Dial a Joke

Here's a setup tutorial:

http://www.sureteq.com/asterisk/trixboxv2.0.htm

Here's an example HowTo for configuring FreePBX to do a conference bridge.

http://www.freepbx.org/forum/freepbx/tips-and-tricks/how-to-configure-a-conference-bridge-in-v2-4

Of course you can also buy RhinoEquipment 4 port FX0/FXS cards to do
trunking to your phone PSTN directly from Rhinoequipment.com or digium.  T1
and ISDN cards (23 B+D or 2 B +D) are available also if you are ordering
bandwidth from a carrier for this event.

On Sun, Mar 28, 2010 at 6:32 PM, R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com> wrote:

> I've been handed a short deadline project that includes a part in which I
> need to provision and ship a SIP based VOIP unit to a FOSS conference site,
> which would then offer dial-in and free SIP 'listen only' of the proceedings
> on a conference bridge
>
> But I am away from my office, with the weekend preventing me from calling
> and getting a unit shipped out to me tonight
>
> I have spent the day poking around, trying to find a local vendor I can
> drive to, here in the Valley, and pick up a unit or two to qualify (or
> borrow for a couple of weeks)
>
> No joy at Best Buy or Fry's.  Anyone have a source that comes to mind?
>
> -- Russ herrold
>
> Linksys PAP2-NA         2xFXS, 1xLAN port ATA VOIP Phone Adapter (SIP)
> Linksys SPA1001         1xFXS, 1xLAN Analog VoIP Phone Adapter (SIP)
> Linksys SPA2102-NA VoIP 2xFXS, 1xLAN, 1xWAN
>
> ... Linksys now being part of Cisco
>
> Cisco SPA8800 IP Telephony Gateway
>    4 FXS, 4 FXO, or optionally 8 FXO
>
> Grandstream HT-286 VOIP Adapter - PAP2  1xFXS
> Grandstream HT-502, HT-503 1xLAN, 1xWAN, 1xFXS, 1xFXO ATA
> Grandstream BT-201 1xLAN one line keyset, w 2.5 mm headset  jack
> Grandstream GXW-4008 8 Port FXS IP Analog Gateway
>
> Grandstream Budgetone-102 1xLAN one line keyset

Office: (480)307-8707
AT&T: (503)754-4452
Systems Engineer
Ivedasolutions.com