which t-mobile android phone?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Mar 17 00:08:57 MST 2010

Am 16. Mär, 2010 schwätzte Joseph Sinclair so:

> For your wife, a Nexus One from Google is probably the best choice, as it is the most iPhone-like and will blend in well with her colleagues' iPhones.

She'd most like something similar to a traditional palm device.

> A few notes:
>  The Android O/S can do voice and data simultaneously if the phone radio and network support it (the Nexus One radio is capable), but as I understand it T-Mobile's network can't do data and voice at the same time due to a limitation of their 3G network.  Verizon cannot do voice/data together either, not sure about Sprint.

Ah, maybe it's ATT that can do simultaneous.

>  An unlocked phone will get most of your features, go to google.com/phone for the Nexus One (cannot be purchased anywhere else), which is unlocked, and has the best CPU (Snapdragon at 1GHz) and screen currently available.

Yeah, I was planning on getting one there.

>  I don't think bluetooth tethering is available on any current phone, but you should be able to write an app for it on an unlocked phone.

OK, I'll check.

>  All Android phones can connect to your mail server if you load an appropriate application from the Marketplace.
>  All newer Android "Google Experience" phones can play vorbis and theora AFAIK.

Cool.

>  Sync depends on software, look through the Android Marketplace for sync apps that match what you use on the desktop, or you could write your own (it's not very difficult).
>  All "Google Experience" Android phones should have GPS, camera w/ video, full function while charging, bluetooth, WiFi, compass, accelerometers, external storage (mostly SDHC-micro).
>
> I don't think any current Android phones have external display capability
>
> One of your desiderata confuses me:
>  Phone-to-phone via bluetooth/wifi (do you mean walkie-talkie, phone calls, contact sharing, or other?)

I mean contact, data, etc. when in proximity. I'd love to be able to ssh
back and forth over a local network :), but I'm mostly interested in being
able to trade small pieces of data such as contact info, a picture or a URL.

ciao,

der.hans

--
#  http://www.LuftHans.com/Classes        http://www.TwoGeekTechs.com/
#  Director of Engineering, FonWallet Transaction Solutions, Inc.