which t-mobile android phone?

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Wed Mar 17 00:47:53 MST 2010

Not sure what something similar to a traditional Palm device is (I assume you mean the Treo phones, not an ancient Palm V or similar).
If you mean a Treo phone, then a Motorola Cliq might be better, although it's not nearly as nice hardware-wise as the Nexus One.  Blackberries are the only smartphones that really look like the Treo phones anymore.

AT&T is the only major carrier that I know for certain can do voice and data simultaneously.
For contact sync at close range, I think most Android phones are at least capable of this, but you might need to add an app for it from Android Marketplace.
For other small transfers, I think you may have to use a web-service or email (which would work over WiFi, but not bluetooth) as an intermediary (unless you write your own application for it).
Any phone-to-phone contact would probably not work unless both phones are unlocked and have the capability (e.g. two unlocked Android phones with an app for sync via bluetooth).