which t-mobile android phone?

Joseph Sinclair plug-discussion at stcaz.net
Tue Mar 16 23:34:18 MST 2010

For your wife, a Nexus One from Google is probably the best choice, as it is the most iPhone-like and will blend in well with her colleagues' iPhones.

A few notes:
  The Android O/S can do voice and data simultaneously if the phone radio and network support it (the Nexus One radio is capable), but as I understand it T-Mobile's network can't do data and voice at the same time due to a limitation of their 3G network.  Verizon cannot do voice/data together either, not sure about Sprint.
  An unlocked phone will get most of your features, go to google.com/phone for the Nexus One (cannot be purchased anywhere else), which is unlocked, and has the best CPU (Snapdragon at 1GHz) and screen currently available.
  I don't think bluetooth tethering is available on any current phone, but you should be able to write an app for it on an unlocked phone.
  All Android phones can connect to your mail server if you load an appropriate application from the Marketplace.
  All newer Android "Google Experience" phones can play vorbis and theora AFAIK.
  Sync depends on software, look through the Android Marketplace for sync apps that match what you use on the desktop, or you could write your own (it's not very difficult).
  All "Google Experience" Android phones should have GPS, camera w/ video, full function while charging, bluetooth, WiFi, compass, accelerometers, external storage (mostly SDHC-micro).

I don't think any current Android phones have external display capability

One of your desiderata confuses me:
  Phone-to-phone via bluetooth/wifi (do you mean walkie-talkie, phone calls, contact sharing, or other?)