OT: How to insert a new frame on top of an inserted image?

Tuna tuna at supertunaman.com
Fri Jan 29 01:50:41 MST 2010

Excerpts from joe's message of Thu Jan 28 14:14:09 -0700 2010:
> I've also posted the following question at oooforum.org ...
> but I usually get faster and better answers from plug ;)
> So, I'm posting the question here also.
>
> I need to create a new oo document that is identical to an existing
> document for which I have a full page (8.5x11) pdf or jpg image inserted.
> Once I get all of the elements for the new oo document aligned over the
> inserted image, I would delete the template document inserted in the
> background (I hope).
>
> However, since the inserted image completely fills my draft document (and
> I don't know how to deselect the document so the square green dots at the
> corners go away), I am unable to insert a new frame over the top of the
> existing image.
>
> I also tried inserting the template as a background graphic, but could not
> get that to work, either (could not reposition the inserted background
> graphic). And I could not figure out how to delete a background graphic
> other than by using "undo" (which also undid everything I did after
> inserting the background graphic).
>
> So, what do I need to do to be able to insert new frames over the top of
> the already inserted full-page graphic?

Are you simply working with images here? OO.o may not be the best choice if
you are.

In fact, for fancy layout work in general, I think OO.o is the wrong tool
entirely. I suggest Scribus, or even the GIMP.

http://www.gimp.org/
http://www.scribus.net/

I hate to write these kinds of emails telling you to use a completely
different tool, but I really don't know of how to do this with OO.
Maybe ooforum.org or someone here on the PLUG list can give you a
better answer, but I encourage you to look at Scribus.

Good luck, and hope to see you at the next West-side stammtisch. :P

-tuna