Looking for a mentor/adviser

Sean Parsons sean at theparsonsfamily.com
Thu Jan 28 18:03:50 MST 2010

I am VERY interested in investigating alternative solutions to my Microsoft
network that are Linux based and can provide the same/similar services. I
have already made several disastrous attempts using Ubuntu
server/workstation, Debian, and Mandrake to use Samba, resulting in some
very serious damage to several domain controllers trying to integrate them
into an existing AD environment.

If there is someone who would be interested in mentoring me through the
basics, I would be grateful. I would be satisfied with anyone whose skills
exceed my own, even if they too are still learning as it could be a group
project. I have resources to make the "Sandbox" remotely accessible to
accommodate schedules etc, I would of course need some help getting that
functionality working successfully and of course securely.

I have several dedicated servers and workstations reserved for a "Sandbox"
and I'd like to attempt to build an equivalent network to investigate the
feasibility of migrating away from Microsoft. I've a rudimentary working
knowledge of Linux but not ready for the CLI plunge yet, in other words.. I
can break Linux better than a newbie. It is becoming obvious to me that I am
not mastering the OS from books and fumbling, and there's as much bad
advice/information on Google as good and I can't discern the difference at
this point.

If there is anyone interested, let me know. I would appreciate not getting
the usual Microsoft bashing as I can't throw away something that works until
I can replace it.

If you are a consultant looking for work, I'm not your next meal ticket,
yet...

Sean Parsons

AKA Doorman352

"The floggings will continue, until morale improves"