home dir to usb thx & some OT (long)

Bob Elzer bob.elzer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 10:49:56 MST 2010

Grandma's on Linux.  How cool is that.

You go girl !!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-bounces at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-bounces at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us] On Behalf Of betty
Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2009 6:22 PM
To: kurt+plug-discuss at granroth.com; Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: home dir to usb thx & some OT (long)

thank you kurt, et al, for the kind words of help, support.
kurt , you did a good job of walking me through the precise way to copy the
home dir to usb, and the reasons to use the different commands.

I am copying it to the usb so that after a fresh install of ubuntu 8.04lts
on a new computer i can use my same home dir & settings, never did that
before. When i get that far i guess i need to ask, ? where do i install it
to????

I have been on this list since 2000, i think. i am a grandma, & a nurse.
i started w/redhat years ago and always found the list people to be helpful
since i am really only a gui user. But whenever i talk to someone about
computers, i try to convince them that open source is the way to go and the
way of the future. I try to preface my requests for help here with saying
what i don't know, since almost everyone knows more than me on this list;
that way people will be nice and give me careful advice, like you did.

Sometimes it starts a list argument to ask a question about the way to
perform something; like the dd vs, cp vs rsync and since i didn't know the
in's and out's of each one it was impossible to decide who's answer was best
for my situation.

I think if i gave most members  here an i.v. start kit and a delivery kit
and had to tell them how to start the i.v. on a laboring mom, then deliver
the baby, they would appreciate having more detail to attention and social
'handholding'  through the procedure. (the patient would appreciate it too!)

Linux is really the best thing out there, not expensive like apple and not
nasty  and bulky like M$.  I like being a gui user because it shows that
people outside the tech community can be users too, and isn't that what we
want? (or is it [rhetorical]) ... just my thoughts.

btw, what happened to der.hans?? he was always a promoter of helpful answers
to even stupid questions.

--
betty i.
www.webcanine.com